Our Colonial Heritage
Parish Established - C. 1655 Incorporated - 1692
Present Church Erected - 1767
1692 - When the Parish of All Faith in St. Mary’s County was created in 1692, the Parish Church at Huntersville was already built and named “All Faith.” According to competent authority, the name “All Faith” was originally “Allfaiths” because in Resurrection Hundred it was the only building set aside for religious worship and all religious faiths used it.
All Faith Parish is fortunate in that most of its ancient records have been preserved. The first entry in these old records has to do with the establishment of the Parish by the Colonial Legislature of Maryland, being number twelve of the Establishment.
Like many old Churches, the original structure was built of logs. It was located on the site of the present building and was erected around 1655. This building was rebuilt in 1693 and finally replaced by the present colonial (Flemish bond) brick structure in 1767.
Three Chapels of Ease in All Faith Parish. The “Red Framed Church,” located near Laurel Grove, was built in 1767 and was in ruins by 1830. The “Four-Mile Run Church,” located near Sandy Bottom became the first Parish Church of what is now St. Andrew’s Parish. “St. Faith’s Chapel” in Mechanicsville was built in 1887 and was torn down in 1946.
The present church was renovated in the 1800's at which time stained glass windows, pews, and chancel furniture were gradually added. Following Hurricane Hazel of 1954 came another renovation, namely the present Rose Window above the altar, the chancel and the heating plant.
Rose window - Georgian architecture did not employ stained glass; yet a window capable of filtering the bright morning sun was necessary to replace the Victorian window over the altar. The window was therefore designed to recall Georgian decoration rather than Victorian or modern. The window symbolizes the gifts of God and his bountiful creation. In the center is the dove of the Holy Spirit; in the petals of the rose, the twelve crops which sustain farming and human life in the community. Leaves of each plant are shown together with its flower and fruit, all enclosed by a large star, suggesting the immensity of God’s universe. Other stained glass windows throughout the building were replaced by clear leaded glass.
Architecture - The barrel-shaped ceiling, slave gallery and old hand-wrought hardware give evidence of the age of All Faith Church and, in the well kept churchyard which surrounds the Church, generations of parishioners lie buried. All Faith Parish continues over a period of centuries in the “Service of Almighty God,” witnessing to the debt of the Church and to the wisdom and fidelity of the men and women whose work, done so long ago, lives today. “We also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses.”
Friendly faces will greet you on a Sunday morning
Young and old, families enjoy the atmosphere at All Faith Church. We have a relaxed service that adheres to the structure of the Episcopal liturgy.
We are a small church in a growing community that have plenty to offer:
Family programs to mention a few:
Join us as we meet year round to study God's word on Wednesday mornings for Bible Study from 11:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
Vacation Bible School
Is the 3rd week of July. Children and adult classes are offered.
All Faith belongs to the Diocese of Washington. Their website is: www.edow.org.
Our church is most beautiful when we decorate for Christmas. We hang greenery from the columns and feature candles with red bows down the center between the pews. Poinsettias on the altar top off the decorations.